Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Great-Grandmothers Scotch Broth (Serves 6)

Hi everyone,

Below is the recipe for my great-grandmothers Scotch Broth. When my mum gave me the recipe I asked her why there was no onion added as I thought it was an essential soup ingredient. She told me that my great-grandmother never ever added an onion to the broth as she said the onion overpowered the other flavours too much.

My mum also told me that in order to save energy, my great grandmother would also add whole vegetables (e.g. carrots) to the pan. When the soup was cooked she would remove the whole veg from the pan and slice them. These would be served along with the meat which was the main course.

If you find that you end up with soup that's too "watery" and not as flavourful as you like then you can add a chicken stock cube (but they certainly didn't have these in my great grandmothers day)

The soup will keep for a couple of days in the fridge, just place in a small pan and cook through to reheat.

Ingredients:

Broth Mix (Great Scot is particularly good. It contains Barley, Yellow Split Peas, Red and Green Split Lentils)
4x Chicken legs
2x Carrots (Sliced)
1x Leek (Sliced)
1x Turnip (Sliced)
Dried Parsley
Salt
Pepper

Method:

1. Soak broth mix overnight in water. Drain water and then rinse mix with cold water. Note: There are some soup mixes which can be cooked in 40 minutes rather than soaking overnight. Scot's mix uses the traditional overnight method.

2. To make the stock: In a large saucepan, place the chicken legs and cover with water (aim for 3/4 of a pan full). Boil for 2 hours and then remove chicken legs from pan. Pass the stock through a sieve and return to the pan. Take the meat from the chicken legs and return to the pan.

3. Add broth mix to the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.

4. Add vegetables to pan, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 1 hour.

5. Serve and add salt/pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment