Monday, April 15, 2013

Water, water everywhere...

When I woke up this morning I was simultaneously hit with two thoughts:

1. Wow, my daughter has slept through. 2. Ow! My legs.

I can see why they call it the 30 Day Shred, I have spent most of the day walking around like John Wayne. Not to be deterred we did the workout again tonight! I think the stairs will be out of the question at work tomorrow!

What today's post is really about is the hot-right-now multitasking product which I have recently been trying- Micellar Water.

The invention of our French friends, Micellar waters act as a gentle cleanser with no harsh drying agents. They also tone the skin without leaving a residue.

So what exactly is Micellar water? Let me put my degree to the test and explain...

A micelle is a ball type structure formed when a soap, oil or detergent type molecule is added to water.

The soap/oil/detergent has a "head" and a "tail" and these "tails" don't like to get wet. I order to avoid getting wet they clump together (almost in the same way that penguins huddle for warmth!)

What you are left with is a solution of water with micelles swimming around in it.

The micelles are then able to remove materials which water alone would struggle to shift (think make-up and mascara!)

So, basically the micelle waters are, well, posh water?!

In a way, yes. However they also contain molecules of oils to cleanse.

My current favourite is Vichy Purete Thermale Cleansing Micellar Lotion. (Retails around £10.50)

Touted as a 3-in-1 cleanser, eye makeup remover and toner. You simply sweet a cotton pad covered in the solution over the face.

I've been using mine as part of a double cleanse regime (more on that later) and I love the fact that my skin feels clean and fresh without stinging, tightness or residue.

Inject some French glamour into your skin care routine and add a Micellar water today.

No comments:

Post a Comment